|Photo credit: Jason Koerner|
Last week was an unnaturally busy one. Even pro multi-taskers like ourselves had a hard time keeping up with all the amazing events and the exciting news that unleashed in but seven days. Fortunately, we kept our eye on the ball. Here are five things you may have missed, but need to know:
1. American Express' Centurion Lounge is finally open at Miami International Airport. As Amex cardholders and frequent travelers, this was the best news we received all week. The new lounge has the basics (WiFi and luggage lockers) and the not-so-basics (spa services, showers, a family room). And guess what? To round out the lounge's "SO Miami" ambiance, Amex engaged Chef Michy Bernstein to serve up Miami-inspired food. Bravo, Amex!
2. NBC Universo's Larrymania Season 4 will premiere Sunday, June 14. On Thursday, Miami's latino entertainment media gathered at the Soho Beach House for a private screening and Q&A of the popular reality TV show that follows Mexican Regional singer and composer Larry Hernandez. The new season will follow Larry as he continues to explore the balance between work and family life, especially with a growing brood and a new fiancée, Kenia Ontiveros. In Season 4, we're excited to see how Larry handles the pressure to divorce his ex-wife and the gang's trip through Europe, peppered with his infamous "no filter" commentary.
3. The Arts & Entertainment District hosted Miami's first-ever Miami Soul Train. Also on Thursday, the A&E District took their event planning talents to Miami-Dade Public Transit in a (successful) effort to expose locals to the MetroMover. During the event, locals rode the MetroMover while wearing wireless LED headphones as part of a giant "silent" dance party. If you missed it, search #MiamiSoulTrain on Instagram for a ton of great videos that capture the vibes of the night. Our favorite was a video captured by our friend Jomary (@JomaryJimenez) of everyone jamming not so silently to "Hey Ya!". We hope to see you at the A&E District's June events!
4. Uber celebrates one year in Miami with "You Ride - We Give". Can you believe we have been relying on Uber for our transportation for only one year? Neither can we. To celebrate their first 365 days in our beautiful city, Uber Miami is giving back to our favorite local and national causes for every ride you take this week. Just enter the promo code to the organization of your choice in your Uber app and they will donate $1 for every ride you take. It's that simple!
5. Zagat announces Miami's 27 Most Anticipated Openings for Summer. If you've been following us on Twitter and Instagram, you know we're can't-ing at the rate in which South Beach's restaurants have been closing. We were particularly sour at the closing of Café Mistral, our favorite neighborhood café. Zagat's announcement makes that pill easier to swallow as they announce the upcoming opening of restaurants we are highly anticipating, such as Bachour's Bakery and Bistro in Brickell, Wapo Taco! in Coral Gables, Phuc Yea!'s brick-and-mortar in MiMo, and NaiYaRa in Sunset Harbour. And so goes the Miami food scene's circle of life...
What news from last week were you most excited to receive? Do you have any news from last week we missed that you want to share? Leave a comment below or send us a tweet @ThankYouMiami!